Friday, July 22, 2011

Farm Visits July 21, 2011

I was really hoping the weather would break before it was time to go out and visit farms this week, but no such luck. I only have two farms to check today, both are located north of Kansas City.

My first stop is east of Trenton, Missouri off highway 65. Lewis and Marie Kamphefner were regulars at the market quit a few years ago, you might remember Strawberry Lane Farm. Marie's family has farmed their land since 1898 and has seen their share of floods due to the "Muddy Creek" which meanders through their farm. Years ago the creek was straightened and does not cause too many problems anymore. Strawberry Lane sells at the Saturday Weston Farmers' market and plans to sell at the City Market on Sunday's once their tomatoes start to ripen. In addition to tomatoes their acorn and zucchini squash are doing well, bugs are starting to feast on the leaves of their Kohlrabi and they have planted a second crop of cucumbers and assorted onions. I had a hard time seeing the row of carrots due to the tall weeds but in this heat the weeds helps to protect the plants from the scorching sun.

I really enjoyed my visit with Marie and Lewis who sent me on my way with a very tasty loaf of chocolate zucchini bread which I need to remember to get the recipe for.

My second and last stop of the day is in Hale, Missouri. There is really no good way to get to Hale without doing a lot of backtracking. Bryson's Farm Fresh produce is a family operation and today Joe's son and grandson were on hand to show me around. The heat is definitely starting to take its toll on the tomato plants in the green houses. The plants are looking a little ruff but are covered with green tomatoes. The black berry bushes look great and are thick with berries. Joe will be transplanting more bushes next spring so hopes to continue to increase the amount of berries he can bring to market. Yesterday they spent hours watering their cantaloupe field, they do not have water available for their watermelon crop so will more than likely loose it. Many of the vegetable plants are hiding among the weeds which seems to be the case with most farmers that do not use pesticides or at least very little. Joe is in the farmer with local supplement category at the market, so 50% of the produce he sells can come from neighboring farms. An Amish family provides Joe with some of the supplemented produce he brings to the market.

I am hot and dirty so very happy to head for home. Not sure where I will head next week, I still have some farms to check as well as crafters. Maybe I can visit a few of each next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment