Friday, April 29, 2011

Farm Visit April 21, 2011

I can’t believe it is almost the end of April and I haven’t checked any farms yet. I got a call today from Por Huns who has a farm in Kansas City, Kansas. I had asked Por to call me when the 10 thousand tulip bulbs he planted were in bloom. His plan was that the tulips would bloom at different times starting the beginning of April and continuing through May. But Mother Nature had a different plan and they all bloomed at once. By the time I arrived at the farm Por and his wife Chaxamone had picked most of the tulips to bring to market this coming Saturday but I was able to get a few pictures. Por lets the tulips open and close one time before cutting them, this helps to make the color of the tulip much more vibrant. Although flowers were the main crop I saw when I visited the farm, there was already another crop planted which will come up after the flowers are done. This explains how the Huns family can start coming to the market in April and remain through October, very good planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment