Friday, May 20, 2011

Farm Visits May 19, 2011

As I drove through the pouring rain this morning I had to keep telling myself we need the rain, but boy am ready for some warm weather. Today I am visiting farms belonging to new vendors. I decided to head to Fort Scott, Kansas first and finish up in Kansas City, Kansas.

Dennis Clayborn and his wife were looking for a Sunday market to sell at and thought the City Market would be a good fit. Clayborn Farms is located north of Fort Scott off 69 highway. Luckily when I arrived the rain had let up to a mist so I was able to take the grand tour. The Clayborn’s farm 160 acres and seem to be a little farther along than farms located north of Kansas City. Last year Dennis decided to change gears, sell his dairy cows and focus on growing produce. From what I saw they are doing a good job of it. I am always amazed when I hear how many vegetable plants a farmer plants. Dennis and Linda have planted 1100 bell peppers, 7500 tomato plants,14 eighteen foot rows of green beans, 7 rows of green onions all this in addition to okra, radishes, cabbage, cantaloupe, hot peppers, canning pickles, squash, beets and assorted greens. Dennis planted an early variety of corn which should be ready around the 15th of June, that is if the sun ever comes out and the temperature raises a little. No matter what, it always comes down to Mother Nature. I know I speak for everyone when I say we can’t wait.

Linda showed me a variety of sugar snap peas which are bushier plants so don’t need to be staked. The peas should be coming on soon. I am so glad I had my boots on today, I actually thought they were going to get sucked off a few times. I hope we don’t get too much rain; no one will be able to get into their fields. Dennis and Linda plan on being at the market this coming Sunday, look for them in the third shed.

Now I am off to Kansas City, Kansas and Amy X. Lo's farm. Her farm is up a lane which overlooks I-70. After walking through the fields I decided I would come back in a few weeks. All the fields are tilled, sectioned off and planted but nothing is really coming up yet. Again, we need a little more sun. I started to back down the lane and realized my next stop was at the same location. Pheng Her farms the front section and Amy farms the back. Pheng's specialty is cut flowers and herbs and Amy grows a variety of radishes, pickles, cilantro, green onions, peppers and lemon grass. I can’t wait to see it once everything comes in.

The one thing about having so many vendors in one area, I don’t have to drive far before I get to the next farm. Bao Vang came to the market last season but has changed farm locations. No one was home so I will come back again in a few weeks.

Last stop Vanna Her, I was sorry to hear that Vanna would not be coming back to the market this season. Last year her sister helped her with the farm but has moved away from Kansas City so she will just be growing vegetables for her and her family.

I am cutting my day short since I am almost out of gas, wet and muddy. I will head out again next Thursday, not really sure which direction I will be going, maybe towards St. Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment