Friday, July 15, 2011

Farm Visits July 14, 2011

After a few very busy weeks at the market I thought I better get back on the road and visit a few farms. Today was a little challenging since I had trouble getting from point A to point B thanks to the Missouri River. Twice today I had to back track due to flooded roads.

I will be revisiting a few farms today since I visited them in the spring when most of their vegetable plants were still in the greenhouses waiting for the soil to warm up. My first stop today will be to visit a new vendor who has patiently been waiting for me to make it too his farm. Eric Lockard has been farming his farm in Higginsville for the last 2 ½ years and has three acres of corn ready to bring to the market. He had planted three varieties this season, one of which is already done and not a crop that Eric was very happy with. I was so busy taking pictures of the corn that I almost walked right into his electric fence. One of those times when it is obvious I am a city girl. Eric has been battling raccoons in his corn fields even with the electric fence; he has started setting live traps and has caught 8 so far. In addition to corn the Lockards have a small garden mainly for their own use. This garden consists of apple, pear and peach trees, blueberry bushes, tomatoes, peppers and his sons Indian corn. Eric will be at the market on the daily waiting list so his location will more than likely change weekly.

Not too far from the Lockard farm, just east of Higginsville, is Peacock farm. Betty’s farm is one I checked earlier in the spring. Betty was able to get a grant to have a commercial kitchen installed which she will be able to rent out by the hour. They are getting very close to getting it done, in fact tomorrow the lighting, floorboards and phone lines will be installed. Once the equipment is installed they will be ready to go. An open house for the kitchen is scheduled for August 6th and 7th. Betty’s husband Kenneth gave me the grand tour of the farm. Peacock farm has also been having trouble with raccoons, they are killing their chickens. They have caught two in their live traps but know there are many more still lurking around. I think the weeds are getting the best of Betty’s vegetables, but maybe they are also helping to keep the plants shaded. Kenneth had just picked zucchini yesterday; there were plenty of cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, fresh herbs, carrots and cone cabbage. In addition to vegetables Peacock farm also sells farm fresh eggs at the market, but with the extreme heat we have been having they are not laying very many eggs.

I wasn’t planning on checking a peach orchard today but I received a call asking me if I could check their farm since I was in the area. Sherry and Matt Thorp farm 10 acres of peaches in Waverly, Missouri and raise 23 different varieties. They normally sell most of their peaches at their roadside country store “Mother Earth” but due to all the flooding many of the roads are closed and customers are unable to easily find their store. Sherry had me follow her in the markets truck through the peach orchards, the peaches looked wonderful. Some of the trees were producing so many peaches that the branches were breaking off; Sherry told me they did not get pruned enough last year. As I stood in front of their home I noticed all the beetles flying around the yard. Matt told me they burrow into the peaches and do quite a bit of damage to the peach crop. If beetles weren’t enough they also have fruit bats which bite into the peaches and hang on, unbeknown to the person picking them . Okay maybe the raccoons aren’t so bad. Mother Earth is located just west of Waverly, Missouri on highway 24.

I had planned to visit Fahrmeier Farm today but part of 24 highway is under water so it can wait till another day. Due to all the roads and some bridges being out I have to take the long way to Buckner, Missouri and Frye Farms. I caught Marlin and his family taking a much deserved lunch break when I arrived, it was nice to have a chance to visit with them and have a nice cold glass of ice tea. Marlin showed me the greenhouse which was full of tomato plants, most of which were green since they had already picked some yesterday. Behind the greenhouse was a new area they were working on the last time I visited the farm. They had built planting beds which were now full of 1200 tomato plants and green peppers. The eggplant was not in planting beds and looked a little sad, they had been hammered with rain and not doing very good. Marlin will probably plant squash in its place. I was happy when Marlin offered to drive to the 10 acre field where they are growing pumpkins, cantaloupe and watermelons. His van had air-conditioning, my truck does not. The fields were too wet to drive into but you could still see the plants and rows. Hopefully the cantaloupe will be ready in the next two weeks. I almost forgot to mention that the Frye’s also raise sorghum and have an event on their farm the first of October where you can watch them turn it into syrup, so mark your calendars.

Next Thursday I will be heading north to Trenton and Hale Missouri. I am hoping the heat wave breaks by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment