Friday, April 27, 2012

Farm Visits Thursday, April 26, 2012

I took a little break this week and stayed close to home. I have found over the years that farms come in all sizes and the farms I check today are a prime example. I have about fourteen farmers who reside and farm in Kansas City, Kansas. Most are very small family farms located in back yards, but most of their backyards are quite large.

The first location I check is located along I-70 and farmed by at least six different people maybe more. Each section of land is divided, plowed, planted and cared for by different vendors some of which are related to each other. All the plots are definitely at different stages depending on when they were planted and how much care each plot receives. I can’t help but notice how dry the ground is, it is already starting to crack in some areas. Water is being hauled in and stored in large containers and even 1 gallon jugs. I am sure these vendors are hoping for a nice rain shower tomorrow. This section of land is divided up among See Vang (I have two See Vangs who sell at the market), Nhia Xiong Herr, Pheng Her, Chava Xiong and Amy X. Lo. So far See Vang is the only vendor who has started attending the Market this year. The only thing I see that is ready at this time is assorted leaf lettuce and green onions. From the looks of things they have a terrible time scaring off deer. I think they are trying everything they can think of, twine, snow fencing, shirts blowing in the breeze and even a disturbing stuffed Grover tied to a stake. I will probably plan to visit these farms again in June, maybe later if we don’t get some rain.

Today I am spending a lot less time driving between farms, in 10 minutes or less I am already at the next location. This particular backyard farm has been farmed by various family members over the past few years. This year Tony Lor has taken it over. Tony was gone for the day so gave me the okay to show myself around. I have been here quite a few times so I know to walk down over the hill. Although some plants have been planted there are quite a few plants that need to go into the ground. They are being kept under the patio just in case we have a little late frost. Tony has a small portable greenhouse to get the plants started, it is really nice. If I had a yard I would want one of these. Strawberries are in, green onions, peas, mixed lettuce leaves, and carrots. If Tony comes to the Market this Sunday he will only be selling lettuce and green onions. There was a crazy rooster crowing the whole time I was there, he was a little confused since it was way past sun rise.

The farm checks are going very fast today, since five of them are at the same location, so I go about six more miles and visit Vanna Her. Perfect timing, Vanna just got home from the grocery store. Her plants are still very short due to the heat and lack of rain so I decided to come back in June when I recheck the other farms. As beautiful and warm our spring has been the lack of rain is really a problem for quite a few vendors who don’t have drip lines or irrigation.

I have another new vendor to check but after calling her to tell her I was in her driveway I find out she has decided not to come to the Market this year, which is a relief since I did not see anything planted. I never let vendors know when I will be checking their farms unless they operate a commercial kitchen, dairy or fall under the crafter category and I have to come in their home.

I got done much earlier than I had planned so thought I would visit one more waiting list vendor in Gladstone, MO. Nicole Duval and Curtis Kelly own and operate Yappy Hour Dog Treats and a doggie day care. They were super busy baking dog treats for this Saturday’s Market. I am not allowed to tell you the secret ingredient; if I do they might put me in the dog house. I could not believe how much the dog treats look and smell like cookies, they were actually very pretty. Since Yappy Hour Dog treats are on the daily waiting list their location could change every week. So if you are ever at the Market and cannot find a particular vendor just stop at the yellow information tent and they will contact me on the radio to get the location for you. For additional Yappy Hour information visit their web site at www.yappyhouronline.com

Next week is a major farm check day, Joplin, MO and Oklahoma. I have so many miles to drive and so many farms to check that Deb Churchill, who manages the property, is going along as my co pilot to make sure I don’t get lost. So more than likely next week’s Blog will not get posted on Friday morning, I am thinking maybe by Saturday if I stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment