Thursday, August 22, 2013



Today was really an interesting day, I was able to visit a vendor who grows mushrooms, a soon to be u-pick berry patch and a farm that grows peaches, apples and grapes. I had to backtrack a little but I wanted to get these three farms checked this week. I ended up driving 238 miles today, which puts me at 3227 miles for this year.

I really did not know what to expect on my first stop today. I met Matt and Nora Trammell at the Market last weekend so I knew they grew mushrooms and I knew they lived in Overland Park. What I did not realize is that they grow the mushrooms in their apartment. What I have come to realize over the last ten years is that farms come in all sizes and locations. Nora and their son Dave met me when I arrived, and took me to their deck where they are growing brown oyster mushrooms in three laundry baskets. The Trammell’s get the spores from Wakaruse Valley Farm in Lawrence and then very carefully provide them with the perfect growing environment. The base for getting the mushrooms started is Starbucks coffee grounds, what a great way to recycle, and straw. Matt then sells oyster mushroom grow kits at the market so you can try this a home. I love it when someone thinks of something outside the box. We then went into their bedroom where they have a small plastic greenhouse set up by the window. With the help of fogger they have created the perfect environment for mushrooms. I always thought mushrooms needed darkness to grow, but this is not the case for brown oyster mushrooms, they actually need a little sun light. The coolest mushroom they are growing is the pink oyster mushroom, it is beautiful. Nora explained how they care for each kit, turning in as needed so every side gets the right amount of light. The mycycliam will start producing mushrooms in about one month. The Trammell’s will be at the City Market on Sunday, August 18th.  For more information about this unique business visit Trammell Treasures Mushroom Farm’s website at www.trammelltreasures.com, they also provide you with recipes and tell you how to care for your growing kit. Very cool!



After leaving Overland Park, KS I head to Adrian, MO to visit Gayle Beachner. Gayle has been a vendor at the City Market for many years along with her husband Gary who passed away last year. Due to many obstacles Gayle has had to relocate her farm from Butler, Mo to Adrian. This season she is farming in a few areas around Adrien and by next year hopes to have everything at one location. She has already planted 1000 blueberry bushes, about 200 black berry bushes, eight rows of red & black raspberries, (three different varieties) even a yellow raspberry. By next year Gayle’s stalls will be filled mostly with berries. Her plan is to open a u-pick berry business on her farm, add a handicap assessable walking trail and hopefully by next year a pumpkin patch and petting zoo. It will be exciting to see how she transforms the farm over the next few years. The area is beautiful and it was nice to be able to walk through the fields and have Gayle point out where everything will eventually be placed, I think it will be wonderful. When I arrived they were picking green beans for the Market. Gayle and her daughter road with me to another location, about 15 minutes away where most of this year’s produce is planted. They had an abundance of tomatoes ripen all at once so will have a lot at their table this weekend. As you know I love seeing unique items being grown, Gayle had red okra ready to start harvesting, it was really pretty and I am sure my picture will not do it justice. She also has watermelons and cantaloupe planted but they were not doing too well and animals were getting into them. Her yellow squash and cucumbers were looking good and did I say she had a lot of tomatoes. This year has been tough for Gayle but I am sure she will be back on her feet before next season. Buds and Berries is at the Market every Saturday in the third pavilion stalls 101-104 and some Sundays in the second pavilion stalls 69-71.




After heading back north I noticed the gray sky ahead and by the time I got to Lawson, MO it had started to rain. Ludmila met me at their gate to let me in. The Guban’s peach orchard is located right inside the gate and consist of 300 plus peach trees, which are all hanging low with the weight of the peaches. Ivan grows a few varieties varying in size and color. Normally I would walk through the entire orchard but it was raining and vary obvious that the Guban’s are growing all their own peaches. All the trees were covered in blue netting to protect the peaches from the birds. The wonderful thing about the Guban’s peaches is that they pick them when they are ready to eat, unlike peaches which are shipped in which are picked before they ripen so they can be shipped and stored. The difference is in the flavor. In addition to peaches, apples, plums and persimmons Pink Blossom Farm also grows beautiful table grapes. After we grabbed umbrellas we walked through the grape vineyard. They have been hard at work this year constructing a trellis system to support the weight of the grapes. As with the peaches they grow a few varieties trying to figure out which will do best in the mid-west. The draught was really hard on the grape crop last summer so they were unable to bring them to the market, I was very disappointed since I had sampled them and knew what I was missing. This year they looked beautiful and were hanging in large bunches from the vines. They have had to insert mesh bags over each bunch of grapes and then cover the lower part of the plant with a net to keep the birds from eating them. What a lot of work and they do it all on their own. Pink Blossom Farm is at the Market is at the Market on Saturday and sometimes on Sundays. You will find them in the third pavilion in stall 119. 





Next week I think I will drive to Manhattan, KS to visit Flores Farm. Meghan Buum, the Marketing and Events Director is going with me to keep me company since it is a little longer drive. It should be a beautiful drive through the Flint Hills.

This recipe was on the internet from Salt Lick Restaurant in Austin, TX.I made it with fresh peaches I bought from Pink Blossom Farm but you could also use frozen peaches.
 
Batter:
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup room temperature milk
1 room temperature egg

Filling:
1 – 28 oz. can sliced peaches drained
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg 

Melt butter in a 9 x 13 pan.
Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and egg. Pour evenly over melted butter. Combine peaches, sugar and spices and spread over batter. DO NOT STIR!
Bake 35 to 45 minutes at 350 F until batter comes to the top and is golden brown.
Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment