Friday, April 18, 2014



I was surprised when I started out today and it was 37 degrees and overcast. No better way to brighten a gloomy day than to visit a greenhouse full of beautiful flowers. My first stop will be in Emporia, Kansas, I have never been to Emporia so am looking forward to the trip. The farther south I headed on I - 35 the more smoke I saw in the distance. I think these were possible controlled burns, at least I hope they were.

Marcus Jamison is just getting started growing microgreens which are tiny leafed vegetables that are grown from seeds and require very little space. Microgreens are not sprouts or young vegetables but grown from plant seeds such as beets, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, kohlrabi, mustards or radishes then harvested when less than two inches tall. Marcus will be growing these in a small greenhouse which they built last year. As I said, he is just getting started so does not plan on attending the Market till next month. Marcus’s father also has a small garden so he might bring a few cucumbers, tomatoes and onions during the summer.




I wanted to make sure I visited the Flower Farm before this coming weekend. Keith Johnson grows beautiful Easter lilies which I knew he would have at the market this weekend. Keith showed me the beautiful Martha’s geranium and azaleas he will also have in his stalls on Saturday, they are perfect for Easter. I always love visiting the Flower Farm, in addition to a great selection of bedding plants and hanging baskets he has wonderful tropical’s. I think the bougainvilleas are my favorite; they line the top of one of his greenhouses. Keith is at the City Market now through July in the middle shed in stalls 69-71. His greenhouse in Gardner, Kansas is opened to the public Monday – Friday 8am to 6 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information visit the Flower Farm web site at www.theflowerfarmgardner.com






I have time for one more stop today so head towards Platt City, Mo. The Oberdiek’s are currently selling at the Parkville Market and Leavenworth Market on Saturdays and will include the City Market on Sundays. Today I am checking their greenhouse tomatoes which they started back in January. The plants are loaded with green tomatoes and according to Zach should be ready to bring to the market in a couple weeks. I will visit their farm in July when they will be harvesting corn, green beans, potatoes, cucumbers, squash, beets and field tomatoes. I have three other vendors who live in that area who will need to be inspected at the same time so I will have very little driving that day.



Next week I am heading to Rockville and Garden City Missouri which is south of Kansas City. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a nice warm sunny day.

The Farmers Market will be bustling tomorrow. Many of our vendors have returned so I expect to fill at least 100 stalls in the morning. The Saturday Market hours are 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the Sunday Market starts at 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment