Saturday, May 2, 2015



My plan for today was to visit the last of the Markets greenhouse vendors that grow bedding plants so I headed north. At one time we had quite a few vendors coming down from north of the river but as the years have passed the number has dwindled. Some vendors have passed away, others have retired or given up farming completely. As I drive past certain areas they look familiar and I realize I have been here checking a farm at one time or another.


I decided to hit the farthest farm first and work my way back to Kansas City. First stop Wathena, Kansas and Goode Acres. John Goode is not a greenhouse vendor but does sell bedding plants / hanging baskets that he purchases from the Amish owned auction in Jamesport, Mo. John is in the Grower with local supplement category so can supplement no more than 50% of what he brings to the City Market each Saturday, bedding plants are part of Johns 50%. As I rounded the corner heading up to the farm I spotted the newest addition to the farm, sheep. There were two of the cutest babies but every time I tried to take a picture the adults surrounded around them, darn. I need to say John does not sell meat at the Market, I think he has sheep to keep his hillside trimmed. I am a little early in the season to see an abundance of produce but they have planted tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, broccoli, beets, parsnips, onions, kale and potatoes. They are harvesting a few strawberries, very few, an assortment of fresh herbs and Swiss chard. Part of Johns 50% that comes from his farm is BBQ wood which he cuts , bundles and brings to the market. You can choose from hickory, apple, pear, peach, cherry and oak. You will find Goode Acres at the City Market every Saturday April through October in the first covered farmers shed in stalls 6-7-8. www.goodeacres.com







I always love the drive on 169 between Saint Joe and Plattsburg, it is a little hilly and there are some really beautiful houses along the way. The Hanks family, William, Clara, Bill and Jennifer have been vendors at the market since 2006, their stalls are located in the first farmer shed in stalls 32-35. They are the only vendor that raises bedding plants and also grows produce. Their four greenhouses were full of beautiful plants and they were busy with customers most of the time I was there. I believe they are the only vendor bringing rose bushes to the Market and they have a nice selection. William showed me the fields they have planted, they missed a Saturday at the Market so they could plant. They have cabbage, broccoli, kale (which is ready to pick) and cucumbers which got hit with frost so needs to be replanted. They have another field ready with plastic to plant watermelons as soon as they get the chance. Last year they had a high tunnel put in for planting tomatoes, this is not heated like a greenhouse and the sides can be raised as the weather warms up. This allows you to get the plants in early since they are protected from frost, which means earlier tomatoes. For more information or for directions to their farm visit their web site at www.windyridgegreenhouse.com







I’m not sure which direction I will head next week I will need to check my list. I also have new Sunday waiting list vendors that I will need to visit before they are allowed to rent a space and I have a feeling everyone’s produce will be coming on at the same time.




Next weekend is Mothers Day; the City Market is a great place to find beautiful handmade items, cut flower bouquets and hanging baskets. The Market is open on Saturday from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. I am really interested in what you wrote here. This looks absolutely perfect. All these tinny details gives me a lot of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete