Friday, June 5, 2015



My original plan for today was to head north of I-70. As soon as I got up and saw the line of storms and heavy rain moving across that area I changed my mind and headed south. If this rain continues it will really start affecting the crops in this area, if it hasn’t already .I think there will be a lot of replanting going over the next few weeks.


With the black ominous sky to my back I once again headed south on 71 to Butler, MO. Robert and Sheila Malcom were new vendors at the Sunday Market last year. Since that time they have relocated to their family farm and have a small section planted. From the looks of things the lack of sun and warm weather has really slowed things down so they probably will not be ready to rent a space at the City Market for a few weeks. I will plan to revisit them again when I am out that way.   They have ¼ acre planted with potatoes which is looking pretty good. When I visit again I hope Robert or Sheila are there so they can direct me to another location where they have apple and cherry trees.




With the weather being a little dicey I thought I would finish up the day in KC, KS. If things get too wet I can just head back to the office. Vanna Her and Yia Her farm 10 acres of land located behind Vanna’s home just north of I-7o. They have been sharing the work on this farm for some time since is too much for one person to handle. As we walked through their fields you could tell that they were very disappointed in what all the rain had done to their fields. Luckily their land is located on a bit of an incline so there was not much standing water, but the ground was very saturated. The only thing that was doing well were their flowers which they sell as bouquets and mustard greens. Once things dry out they will have to go in and replant, which means more of an expense for seed and a lot of work. I am sure they are not the only vendors feeling this way about now, especially with all the rain they got north of the river today.




I hate to even check the forecast for the weekend; I fear it will be another wet one. In the twelve years I have been managing the farmers market I cannot remember a time when it rained for this many weekends in a row. I had a vendor tell me her feet have been so wet that they have started to form webs. That is how I am starting to feel, I just want some sunshine.



Couscous with Broccoli
By: The University of Missouri Extension
Ingredients:

·        2 cups water
·        ½ cup raisins
·        1 ½ cups of broccoli florets
·        1 to 2 green onions, sliced
·        1 ½ cups whole wheat couscous
·        ½ cup almonds or other nuts (optional)
·        1 can of garbanzo beans (15 ounces) (optional)

Directions
·        Bring water to boil, add raisins and broccoli.
·        Once broccoli is tender (use paring knife in thick part of floret to tell tenderness), add green onions, couscous and garbanzo beans (optional) and almonds (optional). Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
·        Remove cover and fluff couscous with a fork  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment