Friday, June 10, 2016






I have been looking forward to today since I visited with Jack Wilson, Washington Creek Lavender, at the Market last Saturday. They will be hosting their open house this weekend June 11-12 and the lavender is in bloom. When I visited Washington Creek last year it was closed due to flooding, what a disappointment. What a difference a year makes. I found Jack and Kathy busy getting things ready for the weekend. A few years ago they expanded and added a barn where they have a really cute gift shop filled with everything lavender, I had to take time and browse.  This is also where they hang the lavender to dry after it is harvested. Since I visited last they have also added a small still where they make their essential oils which goes into their lavender scented soaps. The lavender fields are so beautiful and serene I had to take a moment to sit and take it all in which also gave me a chance to visit with Kathy and Jack. For directions to Washington Creek Lavender visit their web site at www.washingtoncreeklavender.com The Wilsons will not be at the Market this Saturday since they will be hosting their open house but are usually at the Market most Saturdays in stall 68 located in the middle farmers pavilion.






 
On the way back from Lawrence, Kansas I stopped at Tonganoxie to visit Chava’s Farm and to recheck Dang Chang’s farm. When I visited in late April Dang’s produce had not yet started to come up, at that time they were harvesting tulips only. The Chang’s are new to the City Market and have a stall at the Sunday market in the north farmer’s pavilion. They had more flowers coming up and had planted a nice selection on produce. Chava Xiong met me as I pulled in and walked me through his fields. Chava farms full time and has adjusted the items he grows since my first visit a few years ago. He is expanding the selection of flowers he grows and has added roses. He is also focusing on Heirloom tomatoes in addition to a great variety of produce. Chava grows a variety of yellow cherry tomatoes which I am a little hooked on so I was happy to see he had planted them again this year. In addition to farming at this location in Tonganoxie both of these vendors also lease land that sets up on a hill overlooking Kansas City and I -70. I currently have five vendors who farm at this location so I visit it often. Chava’s section was looking wonderful!






While I was here I also took time to walk through Amy Lo’s and Vang Thao’s plots. Each farm separately and marks their area with stakes and twine. Vang was working in the fields when I arrived so walked me along each row explaining that things are coming on very slowly since each time she planted the heavy rains battered the tender plants. But like most farmers, she never gives up and continues to replant.  She hopes to have produce ready to bring to the market soon if the weather cooperates. You will find her at the Market on Sundays throughout the summer.




Amy Lo grows a variety of flowers and has sugar snap peas ready to harvest for the weekend. Sugar snap peas are only available for a short time so I make sure and buy them every week; I love them as a snack or in salads. Amy is at the market every Saturday in the middle farmer pavilion in stalls 53 and 54.



Next week I am headed north to King City, Mo.

No comments:

Post a Comment