Friday, April 20, 2018


I had a nice start to my day; I did not have to fight I-70 rush hour traffic. I left from my home instead of driving into the Market since I planned to head to Cole Camp, Missouri first thing.  I was so happy to see that things were starting to green up a little and trees were flowering. I know everyone is ready to see some spring color. 


Today all of the vendors I planned to visit were new to the market and sell at other area markets on Saturdays. This is what is so great about our Sunday Market; it gives vendors an option for a second good market day and sales.

If you have never driven to Cole Camp you might want to visit sometime, they have a cute old downtown dating back to 1830. Back Yonder Farms is located east of downtown off highway 52, the owners are the Riley family. Like most farmers in the area, the weather has put them a little behind in getting their crops in. Bonita showed me the cold crops they have planted but she was not sure how well they would do with the heavy frost we have been getting. Cold crops usually consist of cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, beets, cauliflower, carrots, radishes and spinach. The Riley’s had cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts coming up. 



 Back Yonder Farms, which has been in their family since 1840 consist of 200 acres with 10 acres set aside for raising hogs. Their hogs were friendly since they feed them by hand making it is easier to move them to different areas. They currently raise Berkshire, Chester White and one other kind I forgot to write down. They will be bringing pork and chicken to the market and a few fresh eggs. As with all of the markets vendors who sell meat, all animals must be processed in a USDA or State inspected plant and vendors must have a permit from the Kansas City Missouri Health Department. 





Bonita also showed me the area where they grow Shiitake mushrooms, Shiitakes grow on logs, which have holes drilled in them, you place the mushroom spawn in the hole and if all goes as planned, you have mushrooms. The Riley’s will set up at the Sunday Market in one of the three covered pavilions and sell at the Sedalia Market on Saturdays. Just stop by the yellow information tent and we can point you in their direction. 


On my way back to Kansas City, I stopped in Odessa to visit Sharron Vile, Dewdrop Soap Company. Sharron makes soaps, body butters, toner and lotions in her home. I visited for a bit and went over the requirements for selling these types of products in the Artist /Crafter category. Sharron is not quite ready to vend at the City Market but hops to in the future.

Today was interesting since I started my day visiting a rural farm and ended my day at an urban farm. Thirteen city plots located east of downtown Kansas City make up Pink Pony Farms. Jeff Helkenberg and Jessica Logsdon started their endeavor in 2008 and have increased the number of plots each year. I felt their real passion was growing fruit trees, heirloom tomatoes and herbs but they also have row crops of heirloom garlic, cucumbers, cauliflower and zucchini. 

 
They start their plants in the basement of their home under lights and then transplant them, if and when, the ground temperature ever warms up. 





I was amazed by the variety and number of fruit trees they have planted since acquiring the lots, it makes me a little tired to think about the number of holes they have dug. Pink Pony Farm will vend at the Sunday and Wednesday farmers market this year. If you would like more information, visit their website at www.pinkponyfarms.com


  
I will be out on the road again next week but have not had a chance to go over our list of vendors waiting on us. This weekend’s weather looks much better than last week so we have more vendors starting back, I am excited to see the vendors again, and it has been a long cold lonely winter at the farmers market.

No comments:

Post a Comment