Friday, April 30, 2010

City Market Farm and Craft Inspections April 29, 2010

What a beautiful day to get out of the office and visit farms. I have two new vendors to check today, both live in Princeton, Missouri. For those of you who like trivia, Princeton is the highest point in Missouri which is why Tim and Mary Ann named their farm High Point. Princeton is about 21 miles east of I-35 on highway 136.Currently hay is their main crop; their farm produces over 130 acres of hay a year which provides food for local dairy goats and other livestock. This year they are expanding their operation by raising tilapia which they hope to have at market by the first of October. I will keep you updated throughout the summer as things progress. This week the Medford family spent numerous hours planting espinaca, cilantro, acelga, assorted salsa tomatoes, poblanos, anchos, epazote, tomatillos, gherkin cucumbers and jalapeƱos. Some of these items will start showing up at the market the end of May.

My next stop was just a short drive to one of Tim and Mary Ann’s neighbor’s farms. For those of you who have been searching out certified organic produce at the City Market you will be glad to know that Menno Lambright will be bringing his organic produce to market the first part of June. Menno has a beautiful farm which is truly a family operation. Although everyone was busy working they took time to show me around their farm. I was amazed by the amount of cabbage they had planted. A few weeks ago the Lambright’s had a micro burst go through their farm which completely destroyed one hoop house and tore the end out of the one next to it. As with all good farmers they learn to adjust. Since they did not have the hoop house to protect the new transplants, they were mounding mulch around each plant to provide a little protection from the wind.

I then backtracked back to highway 13 and headed south to Jameson, Missouri and Song Bird Creek Farm. I always get a little nervous when I turn off the main road and drive to their house. The lane is downhill and depending on how much rain we had that week can be very muddy and scary. I was relieved when I saw Dan and Esther had brought in a load of rock, this city girl likes to drive on asphalt. When I arrived Dan was out in the field picking asparagus and Esther was in the greenhouse watering. I had not seen the Hughes since last season so after catching up a little they walked me around their fields showing me what has been planted and what will be planted soon. Dan and Esther will be back at the Market this weekend selling vegetable plants and assorted produce later in the season. You will find them in pavilion two stalls 78-80.

The Hughes son and daughter-in-law are back home after serving in the military and will be farming the land adjacent to Dan and Esther’s. So far they have the plots plowed, potatoes planted and the vegetable plants ready to go in. Joel and Maria should be at the market in late June.

Back to I-35 south to Kidder, Missouri and Pisciotta Farms. I found Russell busy taking water out to the chicken coops so got to ride along. He has three coops on wheels so they can be moved to a new grass area as needed. Russell has learned the hard way to never move the coop during the day. The chickens will not follow the coop to the new location; they will remain in the old grass area. You have to move the coops after the chickens go in to roost. Who knew? We then went in the barn where I got to see all the new baby chicks, they are one week old. Russell is in the process of getting a new area behind the barn set-up for the new chicks to stay until they are ready to go out to the coops. I was lucky today; the bulls were near the house so I could see them. They were a little nosey but didn’t want anything to do with me, they kept their distance. Russell comes to the market every Saturday and sells, processed chickens, beef, fresh eggs and honey. In November he also sells processed turkeys. (*all meat sold at the City Market must be processed in a USDA or state inspected facility and sold frozen)You will find him in pavilion 3 stall 142.

By now it is starting to get late but I think I can get one more stop in on my way back to the office. If you have been to the market the last three weeks you probably have seen Scott Feemster. Scott is a new artist/crafter vendor that makes beautiful arbors, steel and granite tables, wine racks and gates. I think he could make almost anything out of metal. I usually visit all the artist/crafter workshops before they rent space at the market. I got a little behind this spring so Scott sent me photos of all the items he had made and his workshop till I could schedule a visit.

Next week I will be on the road for two days checking farms in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment