Friday, April 9, 2010

City Market Farm and Crafter Inspections April 7, 2010

This week I headed south on 71 highway. My first stop was in Butler, Missouri at the farm of Gayle and Gary Beachner. Last year Gayle and Gary had a terrible fire which destroyed all of their greenhouses. When I visited them they had set-up small temporary shelters for their plants and were working mainly out of their retail location. It was great to see they had rebuilt two greenhouses and had the frame up for a third. I never tell vendors when I will be inspecting their farms so Gayle was not available to show me around but she did give me the okay to walk through their greenhouses. As you can see from the photos many of their plants are almost ready to bring to the Market. Gary told me to make sure and check their raspberry bushes and asparagus, which is starting to come up, he apologizes for all the weeds. Next week they are hoping to start transplanting plants in the fields. When I left Gayle and Gary's house I drove into downtown Butler to visit their retail space which will open this weekend. I got to meet Gayle's mother who was very busy helping to get the greenhouse ready for customers.You will find Buds and Berries at the market the end of April through mid November on Saturday pavilion 3 stalls 101-104 and Sunday pavilion 2 stalls 69-71.

After grabbing a coffee to go I headed back up 71 highway to Belton, Missouri. After making a wrong turn I finally arrived at KC Buffalo Co.which is owned by Peter Kohl. Peter was not at home but told me I would find the buffalo grazing on the backside of his property. I wish I could have gotten a little closer but what a beautiful view. Peter raises approximately 150 head of buffalo which roam freely on his 100 acre farm. KC Buffalo Co. is at the market most of the year in Pavilion 2 stall 87 on Saturday and stall 63 on Sunday.

Since I got a late start Julie Brodersen will be my last stop for the day in Grain Valley, Missouri. Julie has a large workshop in her home where she makes soy candles and melts, potpourri, oils and a large assortment of clay decorative items. I found Julie busy trimming the clay pies she had poured the day before. She uses her garage for poring the clay molds and cleaning some of the items she uses for making potpourri. Julie took me to another room in her basement where she mixes her oils, pours candles and assembles the potpourri. I couldn't believe all the different items that she uses to make her potpourri unique. If you are looking for a great gift or just something to make you feel good stop by Clay Creations on Saturday in front of the Steamboat Arabia museum and in pavilion 3 stall 134 on Sunday.

The nice weather has finally arrived and the vendors are coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment