Sunday, August 8, 2010

Farm Inspections August 12, 2010

I rally had an easy inspection day this week since three of the farms I visited are within a mile of each other.

After answering a few e-mails and returning some phone calls I headed to Odessa, Missouri. My first stop was Busy Bee Acres which is operated by Bob and Liz Harrison. In addition to maintaining numerous bee hives and fruit trees Liz has a group of pet llamas which are strictly kept as pets. They appear to have it pretty good, they even have misters which help to keep them cool during the dog days of August. Liz gave me a tour of their licensed kitchen where they process the honey after it is harvested, very interesting to see. Bob was gone so Liz pointed me towards the beehives and fruit trees. I am sure I was stepping pretty high walking through the tall grass looking out for snakes, sometimes I can be such a city girl.

Out the Harrison's driveway and down the next road and I was at Buds and Berries. I visited Gayle and Gary's other farm in Butler, Missouri a couple months ago. If you have been paying attention to the weather you know that Odessa has really been getting hit with rain this spring and summer. The rain has just washed out all the rows between their melon crop.This makes it really hard to harvest melons, you can't drive your truck out their very easily. I spoke with Gayle at the market on Saturday, she ended up picking the melons and tossing them to Gary one by one. It makes me appreciate the melon I bought this weekend even more.

Just around the corner from the Beachners farm is Pete Economides greenhouse and a small area where he grows a wonderful assortment of peppers and beautiful sunflowers. Pete was working his day job but gave me the okay to walk around. I couldn't resist taking a picture of his pig. (Which I found out was the reason Pete couldn't make it to the market on Sunday. The pig got loose Saturday evening and Pete was up most of the night trying to catch it.)

My next stop was Lexington, Missouri. I felt a little bad dropping in on the Fahrmeiers this week since they had their annual "Tomato Day" on Saturday night. Every time I visit their farm I am amazed at all the changes they make from year to year. This year they were adding solar panels to their winery. Ron gave me a tour of their 12 high tunnels and where they keep their produce to keep it cooled down. The building was once used for keeping sows after they had a litter of pigs. If you have never visited the Fahrmeier Farms I would suggest you do so. They have live music and wine tasting every Thursday night. For more information visit their web site at www.fahrmeierfarms.com

It was still pretty early so I thought I would get one more farm inspection in. I headed west past the Market to Kansas City, Kansas to visit the farm of Bao Vang. Vang's Garden starts along the road and just seems to keep on going. I am always surprised how much land lies behind many of the homes in KCK. In addition to growing your normal vegetables Bao grows bitter melons, Asian cantaloupe and Asian rice. I am anxious to see the rice after they harvest it and bring it to the Market to sell. Make sure you checkout the picture of their scarecrow. They are having major deer problems which even the most creative scarecrow can't seem to help them with.

I'm not sure where I will be heading next week. I still have quite a few contracted farmers to visit in addition to the Market's crafters.

No comments:

Post a Comment