Sunday, August 1, 2010

Farm Inspections July 29, 2010

I am really behind on posting my latest farm inspection. On Thursday I headed down to Oklahoma again to check a new vendor that will be coming to the market on Sunday and hopefully Saturdays to sell free range pork, beef, chicken, lamb and eggs. Bob, Natash and their son Bobby Shufflebotham will be a great addition to the City Market. Welch, Oklahoma is about a three hour drive from the City Market and I picked a hot and stormy day to make the trip, but the experience was well worth it. Bob was born and raised on a ranch in Wyoming. After working as an Engineer in Russia for a short time decided to settle down in Oklahoma with his wife Natash and purchased 400 beautiful acres which include 7 lakes/ponds. They currently have 60 head of cattle which roam freely. It was so hot on Thursday that all the cattle where hiding out under shade trees scattered throughout the property. Bob and son Bobby gave me a great tour of all their hiding places while teaching me a little about coyotes and a family of badgers that call Oklahoma home. All the livestock are kept in separate large fenced in areas and roam freely. Enjoy all the pictures.

I visited a little longer than I had planned with the Shufflebothams so was only able to visit one more farm on my drive back to Kansas City. I stopped in Nevada, Missouri at another cattle farm. Mark Curtis raises black Angus beef which he lets graze in a couple different pastures. By this time it was raining and lightning pretty good so I was only able to get a few pictures. Mark will hopefully be ready to come to the market fairly soon.

Next week I plan to stay a little closer to home and visit vendors in Odessa. Plan on visiting the market on August 7th for Crazy Corn Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment