Friday, May 25, 2012

Farm Visits May 24, 2012

I can’t believe how far some vendors will drive to sell their produce at the Market. Although Iowa sounds farther away than it actually is. Lenox. Iowa is 133.8 miles from the market which is not as far as some of the vendor’s drive who live in Missouri. Mai Lee and her father Roger Lee sent in their application in mid March so will only be allowed to sell their produce on Sundays, which will probably work out well for them since they are also vendors at the Omaha Farmers Market. Mrs. Lee was busy battling the weeds when I pulled up so Roger and Mai showed me around the three acres they had planted. They had many herbs planted such as dill, chives, cilantro and mint. Roger will be plowing up the section of land where radishes had been planted and will replace it with sugar cane. They had a great selection of produce even purple Chinese spinach. The Lee family plan on being at the Market this coming Sunday.

I won’t be checking too many farms today since it took me two and a half hours to get to the Lee’s farm. I love driving around King City since the country side is dotted with at least 100 wind turbines. I can’t believe how big they are when you have a chance to get close to them. Donna and Darrel Clausen have been vendors at the market for many years selling produce and baked goods. As I pulled up Darrel was busy planting in one of their many plots. He left large sections of grass between the plots to keep them from washing out, plus it just looks really nice. Darrel drove me around their farm pointing out what was ready to harvest and what he had recently planted. His Napa cabbage was beautiful and just starting to form heads. Darrel told me this was the first year he had planted this variety. Over the years I have heard farmers tell me about the problems they have with various animals eating their plants but this was the first time I heard of mice or moles eating the seeds before they could sprout. How annoying is that? With all the produce Darrel has planted this year Donna might have to give-up one of her bakery stalls or reconfigure their booth. I knew Donna was busy baking when I arrived because I could smell the cinnamon rolls all the way to my truck. Donnas’ kitchen is always very clean and organized and is located separate from their home in an out building. I was hoping she would be baking pies, I love her cherry pies. Last year Donna & Darrel added a few chickens to their farm so they could sell eggs at the Market, the chickens were out of the coop today enjoying the beautiful day under the watchful eye of the family dog. You will find Lost Creek Farm at the Market on Saturday in the first farmers shed, north side of the Market, in stalls 9-10-11. For additional information visit their web site at www.lost-creek-farm.com.

I had time for one more stop in Gower, MO. Comanche Acres Iris Garden is always a beautiful sight if you time your visit when all the irises are in bloom. Due to the warm winter this happened a little early this year so I missed it so I posted some pictures from last year. In addition to selling iris bulbs at the market Jim also raises tomatoes, he planted 150 this year, and some cucumber plants. Jim is in the farmer with local supplement category so in addition to the product he grows he also supplements his stalls with local apples in the fall and vegetables from his brother’s garden. Comanche Acres will start at the market the first Saturday in June in stall 30 -31. For more information visit Comanche Acres web site at www.comancheacresiris.com.

I won’t be doing any farm checks next week because of the holiday but am planning a trip to northern Missouri and the Jamesport Auction in the near future. Have a safe Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Deb, I enjoyed reading Cindy Hoedel's interview of you in the June 3rd Kansas City Star Magazine. You have the best of two worlds - city living yet getting out into the country on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete