Friday, May 18, 2012

What to Expect at the Market This Weekend

This week I took a little break from doing farm visits. I had to adjust my schedule a little so I could attend my grandson’s preschool graduation, it was so cute. Since I can’t tell you about the farms I visited I thought I would let you know what to expect this weekend at the Market.

For those of you who have long been awaiting local strawberries, they are here. I have vendors from all parts of Missouri that will have them in their stalls this weekend. I would suggest you come early before they are gone.

This spring has been one for the record books with the extremely mild winter and no late freezes. Some of the farmer’s crops are coming in early this year; we might even see sweet corn by mid June. Many of the farmers have taken a little risk by planting crops early hoping that Mother Nature would be kind and not freeze the delicate plants, their gamble has paid off. We are already seeing zucchini and summer squash which is almost unheard of. The broccoli and green beans have been really good this year since we have had warm days and cool nights. I will definitely need a bigger shopping bag this weekend.

In addition to produce the Market has a great selection of vendors who sell farm raised or grass finished beef, free range chickens, pork, lamb and farm fresh eggs. I just found out the other day that the reason the yolks in free range chicken eggs are so yellow is due to the fact that the chickens are actually in the sun, makes sense to me.

We still have a wonderful selection of annual and perennial bedding plants available. These plants get great care before being brought to the Market so as long as they get watered properly, will thrive in your flower beds. The vendors can also provide you with information so you can choose the right plants for your location.

For those of you who would like to try your hand at planting a few vegetable plants, the vendors have a great selection. I have seen tomato plants so large that they already have tomatoes on them, talk about instant gratification! If you have an EBT card you can use your SNAP tokens to purchase vegetable plants, what a great way to stretch your food dollars.

Last weekend we broke a record for the number of rented vendor’s stalls on a Saturday. The most stalls since I started at the market in June of 2003. I am anticipating the same number of vendor stalls this weekend which would be about 188 stalls. Where can you go for that kind of variety and quality? Plus the market is just a fun place to be.

I think I will be heading to Iowa next week and northern Missouri, should be a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment