Thursday, September 21, 2017



I was so happy the temperature was a little cool and the wind was blowing the day I visited Randy Tillery at his farm in Bonner Springs, Kansas. The last time I stopped by his farm, the mosquitoes were awful. I don’t know how they stand working with the constant buzzing. It made it very hard to focus and I spent most of my time swatting them. This visit was much more enjoyable and I left without one single bite. 


 Randy was a little apologetic about the amount of weeds in his fields but this is normal this time of year especially with all the rain we have had. I might have had to look a little closer but his produce looked nice, especially the peppers, okra and watermelons. Randy started bringing sweet potatoes to the Market last week, in October I always try to stock up for the holidays. As long as I don’t wash them and keep them in a cool dry place they are perfect for my Thanksgiving dinner. He also grows little cabbages, which are wonderful when added to fried potatoes, onions and sausage. I always add the cabbage towards the very end; you have to love a one-skillet meal. You will find Tillery Farms at the Market on Saturday’s mid-June to November in stalls 46 & 47 and most Sundays in the same location. 







No comments:

Post a Comment