Sunday, April 9, 2017



I was a little leery heading out to do farm visits this week with all the rain we have had the last two weeks. I just knew I would be getting in a lot of mud. I am happy to say it was not too bad and I didn’t even need to use my 4 wheel drive on the truck. Thursday I decided to visit two new vendors who had recently sent in their applications for the 2017 farmers market. All new approved vendors will be selling at the Sunday farmers market or the Wednesday afternoon market which will start in June.


I have been corresponding with Ashley Klein from Fairview, Kansas for the past few weeks about selling their grass fed beef, grains and vegetables at the farmers market. The City Market requires all vendors to use USDA packing facilities for processing meat. The Kansas City Missouri Health Department requires all vendors who sell meat to have a permit to do so at farmers markets. Everyone’s goals are to ensure that products being sold to our customers are safe. The Klein family has been farming for over 100 years and has 50 acres of pastures for their cattle and 200 acres for crops. They currently have 60 cow/calf pairs grazing in the pasture. Even with all this rain they have got a few small plots around their home ready for planting assorted vegetables. As soon as Ashley gets all the required paper work and permits to me they will start selling meat at the Sunday farmers market which takes place every week year round 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.




When visiting farms I try to do one area at a time but this week I had another new vendor to check who was located in Holden, MO which was quite a drive between farms. I was glad that Deb Churchill. Property Manager for the City Market came with me today; conversation makes the trip seem much shorter. Been Wolkey, Pantry Farms,  is just getting started raising micro greens and has built two special sheds to do this in, he thinks they will be ready to bring to the market in a couple weeks. Ben will also be bringing assorted vegetable, cut flowers and corn to the market but first he has to get it all planted. In addition to farm products Ben also makes custom planter made from old reclaimed wood from his farm.  






I am not exactly sure where I will be heading next week but will try to visit at least five vendors. The farmers market is really starting to ramp up, most of the vendors selling bedding and vegetable plants have already started coming back. I love this time of year when all the vendors return, I miss all of them when they are gone during the winter months.

Even though next Sunday is Easter the City Market is still open so make sure and stop by.


No comments:

Post a Comment