Friday, April 28, 2017



My first stop today is located about 75 miles from the City Market in Rockville, Missouri.  Linferd and Judith Klassen, with the help of their children, operate Country Blooms Greenhouse which is located right off highway B and is open to the public Mondays through Saturdays. The Klassen’s have been coming to the Market since 2009 as non contracted vendors so their location changes week to week. This season they have really increased the number of succulents they are bringing to the Marked. Judith has put together some beautiful succulent wreaths, moss baskets and hanging baskets. I am sure I will be buying one of these very soon, they are very cool. They have also added more handmade planters which are beautifully planted with a great assortment of flowers. I have noticed that these planters really sell fast so you would want to make sure and come early. You will find Country Blooms Greenhouse at the Market every Saturday through mid-June. Since their location changes every week feel free to stop by the yellow information tent and we can point you in the right direction. For more information visit their web site at www.countrybloomsgreenhouse.com




Since we had so much rain on Wednesday I opted to stick to greenhouse visits today, I really hate getting stuck in the mud. I had a beautiful drive across highway 52 to Gardner, Kansas. It is times like this that I know I have a really great job, I get to enjoy the country side and walk through beautiful greenhouses filled to the brim with flowers,” Life is Good” for sure.

 

I found Keith Johnson and his son Jeremiah busy waiting on customers and moving plants around the greenhouses. I know they are super busy this time of year so I only visit for a few minutes, I am more than happy to stroll on my own through their 18 greenhouses. The Flower Farm is your go to place if you are looking for herbs, Keith has them all. He told me that he has customers who drive down from Nebraska to buy herbs from him, I am not surprised since Keith really knows all there is to know about herbs. I always make sure I look up when walking through the greenhouses here since they grow the most beautiful Bougainvilleas, the pictures I took will not do them justice. I am sure I spent way too much time browsing all the tropicals and perennials; I am putting together a wish list for myself. Keith is one of the very few vendors that make his own organic potting soil with compose and then heats it to ensure there are no pests to harm the plants. I asked Keith if he sold the potting mix at his greenhouse but unfortunately he said it was quite the process just having enough for all the plants he sells, darn. Keith and Jeremiah are at the Market every Saturday through July in stalls 69-71 located on the west end of pavilion two. I love their tag line, “We know it ‘cause we grow it! This is very true. If you would like more information about The Flower Farm visit their website at www.theflowerfarmgardner.com













If everything is able to dry out a little by next Thursday I hope to get out to visit a few new vendors who have turned in applications to sell at the Sunday Market. If not I always have craft vendors and a few more greenhouses I would like to get to before Mothers Day.

This weekend’s weather looks awful but the City Market is a rain or shine year round market so the Farmers market and the City Market shops and restaurants will all be open. Remember your umbrella and support your favorite farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment